Whether your just starting out or you have already started deploying Windows 10, Upgrade Readiness can be a key contributor to a successful Windows 10 rollout. As defined on docs.microsoft.com:
Upgrade Readiness offers a set of tools to plan and manage the Windows 10 upgrade process end to end, allowing you to adopt new Windows releases more quickly. With new Windows versions being released multiple times a year, ensuring application and driver compatibility on an ongoing basis is key to adopting new Windows versions as they are released. Upgrade Readiness not only supports upgrade management from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, but also Windows 10 upgrades in the Windows as a Service model.
Upgrade Readiness is one of three cloud based solutions that make up the Windows Analytics family - all of which are offered as part of the Microsoft Operations Management Suite (OMS) collection of services. Upgrade Readiness can add the following benefits to your Windows 10 rollout:
- A visual workflow that guides you from pilot to production
- Detailed computer and application inventory
- Powerful computer level search and drill-downs
- Guidance and insights into application and driver compatibility issues, with suggested fixes
- Data driven application rationalization tools
- Application usage information, allowing targeted validation; workflow to track validation progress and decisions
- Data export to commonly used software deployment tools, including System Center Configuration Manager
Let's take a look on how to setup and configure Upgrade Readiness from the Microsoft Operations Management Suite (OMS) portal.
Setup and Configure OMS
First lets setup OMS from the Azure Portal.
- Login to the Azure Portal
- From the search box at the top, search for Log Analytics and select it from the search results
- From the Log Analytics blade, select +Add
- Choose a name for your OMS Workspace
- Now either create a new or use an existing Resource Group
- Choose a Location
- Finally, click OK
- Once your back at the Log Analytics blade, you can click Refresh to see your new workspace display (give it a few seconds to provision)
- When your workspace is finished provisioning, click on it, then click on the OMS Portal button
- Now from the OMS Portal, click the Gallery icon from the left (looks like the shopping bag)
- Scroll to the right until you find Upgrade Readiness. Once you find it select it and click the Add button.
You now have Upgrade Readiness setup and it's time to start collecting some data. In Part 2 we will discuss how you should start deploying the configuration to allow your clients to send the data to the service.